Saginaw MAX System of Care Welcomes New Social Marketing Coordinator

“I’m excited to start this next chapter and get involved in the Saginaw community,” said Lee. “I have a deep personal connection to mental health awareness and education, and a passion for communication in all forms, so this opportunity with MAX System of Care and SCCMHA is a dream come true for me.”

Lee graduated from Central Michigan University in December 2010 with a Bachelors degree in Journalism with a Public Relations concentration. Her previous experience includes multiple internships in journalism, public relations and marketing; serving as an Assistant Account Executive at PR Central, Central Michigan University’s student-run public relations firm; and freelance social media consulting.

In November 2009, youth, families, community leaders and agencies came together to develop a county-wide System of Care to support youth, ages six to 21, who experience serious emotional and behavior challenges and require services of two or more child-serving systems, such as mental health, juvenile justice, child welfare or special education. By December of that year, the collaborative group submitted a proposal to the federal government’s Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).

SAMHSA recognized Saginaw County’s need and awarded a six-year, $9 million grant to continue to develop a children’s mental health System of Care. As of 2011, Saginaw County was one of only nine national grantees for the fiscal year.

“The opportunity to be a part of MAX System of Care’s initiative is incredible,” Lee said. “Not many people can say that they get to work every day to improve the lives of youth in need and change the very way the mental health system provides care to the community. I’m ecstatic to be able to do my part.”

Lee will be splitting her time between the Saginaw County Community Mental Health Authority building at 1040 N. Towerline in Buena Vista Township and their headquarters at 500 Hancock Street in Saginaw.